Staffordshire County Council
Staffordshire County Council were looking for a specialist in the marketplace to test their view that there was a need for a new Enterprise Centre in Staffordshire, (with a particular emphasis on workshop units).
They deliver Enterprise Centres to provide workspaces on flexible terms, so that small, start-up and early-stage businesses can find their feet, mature and eventually grow on to privately run accommodation. The Enterprise Centres create employment opportunities and strengthen the local economy.
The County Council advertised for specialist property consultants to tender for the role and we were duly selected for the commission after demonstrating our relevant experience.
As a specific output, the County Council required a summary report that proved or disproved the need for a new centre. They set out strict KPI targets for delivery of the report, as well as specific criteria for its content.
The most challenging factor was to collate information on such a large scale (across the whole of Staffordshire), from multiple data sources within relatively tight timescales.
- We used external data sources, including CoStar, EGi and Make It Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire, plus our own in-house databases and market knowledge to assess the supply and demand in this particular market.
- We conducted interviews with commercial agents and enterprise centre managers to subjectively qualify information and provide a view from professionals with first-hand experiences of occupier requirements and property.
- We studied reports and information provided by the County Council on a range of areas, including enterprise centres, surplus land and property, policy and strategic plans.
- We used all of the above to complete comprehensive data analysis on the provision of units available, those coming to the market and the demand from occupiers.
- We produced and delivered the final report to Staffordshire County Council in June 2021, meeting their specified KPI targets.
- We presented specific, evidence-based conclusions on supply and demand for enterprise centre workshop units in the Staffordshire market.
- We supplied an economic data profile on the provision of business premises in Staffordshire as well as an evaluation of the type of units most in demand in key geographical areas.
- We also supplied specific recommendations on the delivery of an Enterprise Centre, including key characteristics required from any new scheme such as location, size, mix and quantum.
- We met the County Council’s overall project specification, while providing additional, valuable insight. Our services have since extended into ongoing support and consultation for the scheme.
“We were delighted with Richard’s report. It is clear that Mounsey Chartered Surveyors understand this market. The detail of information was very strong, and it was displayed and summarised in a clear digestible way. We would not hesitate to recommend Richard and his team.”
Nicola Kent, Head of Funding Business and Enterprise, Staffordshire County Council
Need advice on your commercial property?